North Shore Aerial Structure
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Owner: Pittsburgh Port Authority
General Contractor: Brayman Construction Corp.
Value: $41.2 Million
Date Complete: December 2010
The Port Authority of Allegheny County awarded Brayman with the North Shore Connector Aerial Structure, and the retained fill and demolition of the Miller Printing Building. Completion of this project further extends Allegheny County’s Light Rail System from underneath downtown Pittsburgh and the Allegheny River to the North Shore.
The project included construction of a 1,755lf dual 14-span tub girder aerial structure along Reedsdale Street in Pittsburgh, PA.
Scope of work required:
• Caissons,128 ranging in diameter from 36” to 60”
• Demolition,146,000sf Miller Printing Building
• Sanitary and waterline work, 2,000lf and depths in excess of 20’
• Fabricated structural steel, 4,000,000,000lbs
• Excavation, 50,000cy
• Concrete pavement replacement, 8,000sy
• Concrete sidewalk replacement, 7,000sy
• Granite curb, 1,000lf
• Decorative handrail, 4,000lf
• Decorative lighting, and other road work
Completion of the North Shore Connector not only supports the County’s efforts to revitalize Downtown Pittsburgh and the North Shore Community, it also enables the Authority to construct further extensions of the “T” allowing for future development opportunities throughout the region.
Outstanding New Multiple Span Bridge by the Association for Bridge Construction & Design (ABCD)